Bix & The Rhythm Jugglers Davenport Blues- 1925

Tuesday 1 June 2010

BIX BEIDERBECKE- The Roaring Twenties!

March 10, 1903 - August 6, 1931



The Golden Age of Jazz will never be forgotten as long as the wonderful
memories of Bix Beiderbecke and his many fellow Jazz musicians remain to
cheer us up and remind us how wonderful life was in the 1920's.

Born Leon Bismarck Beiderbecke in Davenport Iowa he grew up to become one of the most significant musicians of the Jazz period equaling that of the great Louis Armstrong

Bix's professional music career began when he joined the Wolverine Orchestra in late 1923 and by February of 1924 the Orchestra produced their first recording at Gennett Records of Richmond Indiana.

Bix later went on to play with Tommy Dorsey with the Goldkette Orhestra and then in January 1925 he recorded Davenport Blues with the Ryhthm Jugglers, but the first time under his own name.

Wolverine Orchestra


Goldkette Orchestra


















Rhythm Jugglers













Here is a Letter to Ruth Schaffner, Bix's girlfriend
and tells about Bix's exciting but busy time on the road

Bix begins, as he does in many of his letters, with apologies for not writing sooner. Then:

“I’ve been out of town and sort of taking advantage of the first vacation I’ve had in eight years, and I really did receive your letter later.

“I’m joining Paul (Whiteman, the leader of The Paul Whiteman Orchestra, the most popular and highest-paid band of the day) again in two weeks in Chicago from where we go to New York and then possibly London, Eng. for a few weeks to be present at the premier of the picture ‘King of the Jazz Revue.’

“I’m sorry I couldn’t get to St. Louis but I really couldn’t make it, Ruth, it seemed that every town led me further from St. Louis because I went East for business purposes. When I talked to you and Stella that night I really thought that I would be in St. Louis that next week but things happened that took me in opposite directions.

“I’m entirely well again and haven’t had a drink of anything intoxicating for over six months and it looks like I’m going to lay off for good, I made a promise to the folks that that goes — imagine me a teetotaler. It’s a fact.

“Well, Ruth, I guess it will be a long time before I’ll see you again, I only wish that we could re-live those two days in your apartment before I go to Europe. Do you remember when I was indisposed and you, Stella and Bess took care of me?

“At any rate, I’ll see you at the first opportunity, may that be soon — the best of everything to your sisters and love to you. BIX”


More from Bix to Come soon!

1 comment:

  1. Dear John, I work for a company that deals with Archives and I'd like to ask you one specific question. Do you maybe have an email address I could use for that? Here is mine: therocketway@gmail.com

    Best,

    ReplyDelete